Introduction programme for exchange students

Exchange students should arrive at the beginning of September for the winter semester or the beginning of March for the summer semester to join a German language course. As lectures at Wedel University do not start until the beginning of October or April, respectively, they can concentrate on learning the language and will have enough time to become acquainted with life in Wedel and Hamburg.

On arrival exchange students are teamed up with a German student who will act as their "special guide" through the first weeks. He/she will also help finding places, filling in forms etc. and will introduce the international student to Wedel and its surroundings. About a week prior to the start of the lecture period students then join the introductory programme run by the student's union ("AStA").

Once students have settled in, the International Office holds a welcome dinner for exchange students.

Note: Early arrival allows enough time to register with the foreign office in Pinneberg and Wedel city authorities, confirm the study programme, take the language test to determine the best course level, get organised etc.

Student Jobs

Students are allowed to take a student job for 90 days every academic year while staying in Germany. However, they are not allowed to work during a preparatory language course.

In general, it will be better to arrive with sufficient financial means and concentrate on one's study programme.

Insurances (Medical and Other)

You need to have a (private) health insurance when you want to study in Germany. It is a must!

You have to ask your local authorities of your "home insurance company" about the conditions. Medical care is very expensive in Germany and in case of an emergency you have to pay for everything yourself.

In addition to the health insurance, it is recommended to have a personal liability protection.

Validity of Driving licences of non-EU citizens

Whereas EU citizens can use the driving licence of their home country which is fully accepted in Germany, non-EU nationals have to bear in the mind the following regulations.

The driving licence is valid for a maximum of 6 months after you have registered your address in Germany. If you stay longer, you have to take a practical test (simplified) and a theoretical test, which can be taken in your native language. You also have to pass an eye test and you have to get a first aid certificate.